Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Super Cool Thing #4 - Practice what you Preach

Dear lord, what I put you poor brides and grooms through?! Ack! :D
My friend and portrait guru Jeanne de Polo turned the cameras on me, my hubby Paul and little D last week. You have to understand, if there was a choice between getting his photo taken or something else, Paul would rather sit in a tub of ice while someone scratched nails down a chalkboard to the tune of My Heart Will Go On. Really.
We were there for one big reason - Mother's Day. Paul's dad asked each of his kids to give him an updated family photo for grandma for Mother's Day. It was the excuse I needed for a new session, since the last one was when little D was 3 months old. Gasp.
I called Jeanne immediately. See, ever since Jeanne shot with me at the Carmel Mission last year, we've become great buds. Jeanne has a fun, warm and sometimes silly personality and I knew that if anyone could help Paul out of the ice tub it would be her.
We started off slowly, me trying to remember all the stuff I tell all y'all when it's me behind the camera. Stay active, check. Lean a lot, yep. Find ways to touch my son and hubby so they know I love them, check. Get close, you bet. Laugh and smile and play, check.
At first, Jeanne had the camera on little D. Not surprising, since he's one of those little guys you literally gasp at when you see them, they're so angelic. And it doesn't hurt that his momma's had a camera in his face since day one (uh, yes I DID bring my camera to the hospital when labor pains kicked in. Stop laughing!), so he's perfectly fine to go about blowing bubbles and kicking soccer balls and occasionally look up to smile. (proof of how darn cute he is...just a little snapshot I took on our deck...)
Then, at one point, Paul's kicking the ball to little D and I'm just standing back, watching. And then, it happenes.
Jeanne points the camera at ME.
Well, what do you know. I about froze. Everything I knew just went SWISH down the drain with the ice water from Paul's tub. I was completely nervous and self conscious as Jeanne says, "Okay, look this way, now chin out, good, there, that knee to the left, no your left, no your other left..."
Just me. No one else. And the brain starts screaming. "What the heck do you do with your hands?! Do I have a double chin? Is there a bat in the cave? Did I remember blush? Oh no, my hair is having an 80s moment. Wow I really need a girl's room..."
Today, the gorgeous Lindsay and her fiance Tim met up with me for their e-session. Lindsay was surprisingly nervous and boy, did I feel her pain! Usually I just goof and laugh and joke until everyone's guard is down, but that little pang of nerves from my own session was still with me. I was much more empathetic for today's session, yet we still brought out a soft, sweet but not sappy unposed side, and even a few "magazine hottie" looks, with little to no pain. At least Lindsay said so - she even said she had fun!
I'll post new e-sessions soon!

No comments: