Thursday, March 26, 2009

It may feel weird, but trust me...

One of the reasons why I always always always give my couples an engagement session before the wedding is because it's really more of a "get comfy" session. No really! I want to get to know my couples, and for them to get to know me. I'm a total goofball! Perfect example - today with Silvia and Danny, I actually squished my face in to show what happens when you pose cheek to cheek without pulling away a bit.
(Speaking of Silvia & Danny...this is him trying to kiss her and she's not letting him! Fun!)

Portrait sessions are hard! They're scary and intimidating and you want your images to look good but you don't want to "model up" and where the heck do you look, right? So by getting my couples comfy with me, with each other and most importantly, with my big a@@ camera, within 20 minutes it starts to get fun. But those first 20 minutes can be a little unsettling.

Some of the comments I might get back are, "this kinda feels weird" or "really, lean over that much?" or "what the heck do you mean like a turtle?"

I thought that maybe I'd share with the three people who read this blog (grin) what goes into a few of the shots. First, the story, then the photo.
Melanie and Mike and I were wandering around Santana Row when I gasped. "Oh my gosh, this is awesome! Can you two lean down all the way to me?" Yeah, they felt really stupid, but I was able to lie on the ground (almost) and get the sillouette of the M on the building behind them.
I love this shot. It's sexy and anonymous and yet so sweet and touching! I had to keep moving the grape vines so I could get just the right amount to circle their lips. Poor Kat & Scott just had to keep kissing and kissing, I'm sure that was annoying. hehehe

Back to Melanie & Mike - I was so impressed when we were all able to pull this off without laughing. I told them I wanted to see a little passion, and showed Melanie exactly where to put her back against the wall, and Mike I told to get as close as he could with his face - then just...just..just touch a tiny bit. Steamy!

So what to remember during the portrait session? If you like the work they do, then trust your photographer. Yeah, he or she may have you doing some of the weirdest things, but it'll look yummy. :D

No comments: