Friday, February 15, 2008

I'm not done with Myla & Bart...






There were so many things that were RIGHT about Myla & Bart's wedding. The flowers, the makeup and hair, the dresses, how smoothly everything went and how much fun everyone had. Myla & Bart made some very wise decisions and I wanted to use them as an example of what really can make a wedding shine (and trust me, it wasn't the weather - we even saw a bolt hit the parking lot lamp at Sharon Heights!)

Super smart decision number one: hire a planner.
Since I lost my blog, you can't read back to my big big post about why a wedding planner is so vital. But I'll try to dig that one out or recreate it. It has saved many a bride and groom from pulling out their hairs one by one. Really.

They chose the brilliant Jean Marks. Her energy and enthusiasm is wonderful, she's exceptionally well organized - and she had two helpers, one for the ceremony at Church of the Nativity in Menlo Park, and one for the set up at Sharon Heights.

Super smart decision number two: tell people what's important to you.
Open up to your vendors. If they know more about you two, your likes and dislikes, boy will that show through. Sometimes I'm left to guess, like if I see thousands of flowers everywhere, I know that the floral decor and how things looks are important and capture tons of details for them. Myla and Bart were very up front about how deeply spiritual they were, that for them, the highlight of the day was the sacrament of marriage. Four priests were performing the service, all of them good friends! So when I was told at the last minute by Julie the church organizer that there was no shooting allowed from the aisle (a first for me - I've shot there many times!), it was then my mission to do whatever I could to make up for the standard shots from the center aisle. I knew how much they would mean to Myla and Bart!

There are boundaries that I will just not cross. Like getting in the way of a ceremony. It irks me when I see a "professional" get in the middle of the aisle next to both the moms, stand there and shoot! Or get on the altar. It's unprofessional at best, disrespectful at most. Unfortunately there are enough shooters out there that have ruined it for the majority of us, which is why so many churches are so darned strict about photography. So just like you've been up front about what's important to you with your vendors, be equally up front with those in charge of organizing the ceremony. If they know how important it is for your photographer to roam AND if they know that photographer is respectful, they may relax their rules a bit.

In my case, I whispered to Julie about how Myla and Bart really wanted certain shots and could I please have permission to at least get the first kiss from closer than the back of the church? She agreed! Yes!





Super duper smart decision: get a master of ceremonies

Okay, I go to a TON of weddings. And those who have an iPod running the show, or a button pusher, well, it shows. The reception is an organic thing - a life of it's own, one that needs to be gently guided from place to place. One thing I've noticed about bad DJs and iPod weddings - most guests leave pretty darn early. And it has nothing to do with their friendship with the bride and groom!

So when I discovered that Myla and Bart hired Ron Grandia, I knew we were in for a fantastic night.



I was right - Ron guided that reception beautifully, from announcements (lighthearted and fun) to toasts and dancing and cake, with no lulls, no icky music, no chatter. There's only a handful of MCs out there that can do this well, so ask around, check out Yelp and the bridal boards and do some searching.





Super smart decision: the venue
Wow. Like Ralston Hall or the Julia Morgan Ballroom at the Merchant's Exchange, this is the kind of room that makes you drop your jaw. The warm wood and dramatic ceiling and view, the food, the incredibly kind and patient staff - I'm now a huge fan of Sharon Heights Golf Club.

No comments: