Sunday, March 2, 2008

Photographer first, even before you nail down a date!



I love the early part of the year. Although there aren't many weddings to shoot, I get to meet hundreds of newly engaged couples, get to hear their stories (I LOVE stories so don't you dare think it's not going to interest me), help steer them towards fabulous floral designers and event planners and even lighting designers and stuff they never knew was out there, and talk about their dream day and what they envision.
Last year, three couples who signed with us bucked tradition. They picked us even before they had a venue! Can I tell you how brilliant this is? Here's why - we are natural observers. Think about how many weddings we've experienced. Kelvin's been a shooter since 1989 so I don't think there's a single place you could get married that he hasn't shot at. We know which places are gorgeous to look at, gorgeous to be at and gorgeous to shoot. We also know which ones don't photograph as well as you'd think, or which ones make you stand in the sun at a funny angle, or which ones have a staff that could possibly ruin the entire day for everyone.
Here's my point. Start meeting with photographers before you even pick your date. If any of them have a "pencil me in" policy, hire them and make the most out of that retainer. Pick their brain. Don't ask them where's the best place to get married, ask them where THEY would get married if they were doing it next May and every venue was available? Find out which month they'd recommend for a vineyard, and which time of day looks best at that old mansion on the peninsula. Yeah, you could do the same with a wedding planner, but a planner doesn't see it through the camera lens, or on the screen while the album's being designed.
Where would I recommend? That's like asking me what flavor of ice cream is my favorite. Depends on the weather, where I'm at, who I'm with, and what mood I'm in. :D For a wedding venue, depends on what your "wedding adjective" is (you'll need to meet with me to understand what that is), where your families are, what time of year you're looking at, if it's day/evening/night wedding, and what kind of people you are (nature lovers, wine lovers, art lovers...).
Now if I can only get all the wedding magazines on board with this idea....
Have a great Sunday!
Rhee

No comments: